About the Health Office
What Does the Nurse Do?
- Administers care for all ill or injured students and staff during the school day.
- Identifies children who may need to be excluded from school for health reasons.
- Screens all students for vision, hearing, height, weight and blood pressure according to district guidelines.
- Maintains health records on all students. Validates the immunization and physical examination records as being complete.
- Formulates and implements individualized health care plans for students with special health needs.
- Communicates special health needs of students to appropriate staff, with parental permission.
- Administers prescription and over the counter medication with the written authorization of both the physician and parent.
- Provides health teaching for students, families and staff.
- Implements the district health education curriculum through formal classroom instruction.