Welcome to the Tamaques Art Appreciation program!
This program is about learning and experiencing art and artists in fun and engaging way. The goal is for each child is to take away not only an appreciation for art but also to identify the life lessons the art world provides. The program will be fun for the students AND volunteers, with interesting lesson plans and activities. It will be exciting to see each grade display their interpretation of the art they are learning about in the hallways of Tamaques.
The program will be:
- Uniform for all students in all grades. All students will work on the same artists/art genres at the same time
- The program will feature 2 art appreciation lessons each year
- Volunteers will be given a specific week to complete their project with their class. Please coordinate with your child's teacher for specific times that they are available.
- The lessons will be predefined and EASY to complete with your class
- There will be NO making up your own projects or searching for an appropriate artist for your class
- This program is a 5 year plan, lessons will NOT be repeated next year as a new set of lessons will be prepared to continue your child’s journey in the Art Appreciation program.
Currently, we are in the second year of the 5 year rotation. So, if your child is above first grade they have already experienced some of these projects.
This program utilizes all the modern technology our school provides so the lessons are engaging and interactive. The art featured will come with a PowerPoint presentation to be shown in class and talking points for you to discuss with them. Included will be a brief history, matching visual examples of the art, and if possible, any multimedia items that fit the projects. A lesson plan will also be included with a grade appropriate project for your class to complete. There will be a 10 minute-2 hour maximum advance prep time for each lesson prior to stepping into the classroom.
Materials, along with sample projects will be available so you will not need to purchase anything on your own. There may also be periodic meetings to help coordinate and prepare materials for the classes. Look out for messages in your inbox. If you are available to assist that will be appreciated.
Lesson plans will be posted here for you to download. Please download and print and most importantly, READ before you present. The only thing you will need to do is make copies of the student take home paper for your class. Presentations work best in PowerPoint, not Google slides.
Thanks for supporting Art Appreciation at Tamaques! I hope you find this program useful for your children.
To sign up to volunteer for a lesson in your child's classroom contact your child's room parent.
Liza Biggers and Lauren Troisi
Art Appreciation Chairpersons
Project 3 APR/MAY/JUNE
Dalí: Turn Your Dreams into Art
Project 2 JAN/FEB/MAR
Seurat: A Trick of the Eye
Project 1 OCT/NOV/DEC
Picasso: Inventor of Cubism
MC Escher: Where Math Meets Art
Gustav Klimt: Master of Decorative Art
Wasilly Kandinsky: Inventor of Abstract Art
History of Animation
20th Century Art: Make Everyday into Art
Architecture: Dream Like an Artist, Think Like an Engineer
Pictures of the Floating World
Chagall: Create from the Heart
Week of Feb 3-7
Matisse: Drawing with Scissors
Faith Ringgold: Make it Your Own
Egyptian Art: Breaking the Code